About the Author

Shae Ford is a USA Today bestselling author from a not-so-small town outside of Ft. Worth, Texas. She comes from a long line of storytellers, and has spent countless hours seated at the kitchen table: listening to the fisherman’s tales, passionate political rants, and sidesplitting antics of her often-mischievous extended family. Her mother, who could always find room in the budget for a new book, has been the unwitting accomplice to several of Shae’s minor classroom crimes — from excessive doodling in the margins, to concealing the latest “Harry Potter” book beneath the pages of her algebra assignment.

She has yet to be charged.

Shae’s debut series, “Fate’s Forsaken,” follows the story of a young man who is gifted with extraordinary powers, but plagued by rotten bad luck. Having the chance to share his many (mis)adventures with readers all over the world has been the opportunity of a lifetime, and a journey she’ll never forget.

139 Comments

1. K. Mathis

Excellent book. I’m glad I found you. Its hard now days to find an author worthy of following their series; you are one of those.
    Also I am happy that there is going to be a fourth installment of the forsaken.
    Keep up the good work.

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hey K. Mathis– thanks for stopping by! Yes, there will be a Book 4, and I’m already hard at work on the first draft. Hopefully it will be a worthy end to the Fate’s Forsaken series.

Thank you for your kind words– I’m honored that you’ve been keeping track of my books! Have a happy Friday and a wonderful weekend, K. Mathis 🙂

2. Jimmy

Just finished reading your third book, I read all 3 in the last 3 weeks and I can tell you that all of them maintained the same level of good story and character growth, but what I like most about your story is those wise cracks that make me smile or laugh out loud. Thanks for making it souch a good ride! Hope the next one is here soon and hope you are already starting on your next project, im sure we will be reading many great new stories from you in the future.

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hello Jimmy– thanks for stopping by! I’m very pleased to hear that you’ve been enjoying the Fate’s Forsaken series thus far. The humor is one of my favorite parts as well. Though they’re usually in a pretty serious state of trouble, the lighthearted way in which the characters face their problems keeps it from being too grim. And call me old-fashioned, but I very firmly believe that books should make you smile 🙂

Again, thank you for your kind words about these stories, Jimmy! I promise I’ll be working hard to make Book 4 a worthy end to the series. Have a happy Friday, and enjoy your weekend!

3. Rushil

A beautiful book is due to creativity of a great author
    I loved reading your Fate’s Forsaken novels, can’t wait for book 4. I wish all the very best for your next book and future. Just when it is expected to be released??

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hello Rushil! Thank you for stopping by, and for your kind words about the Fate’s Forsaken series 🙂 I have very much enjoyed being able to share this story with so many wonderful readers and am looking forward to writing the next installment!

To answer your question: it usually takes me about a year to write a book, but I am already expecting this one to take a couple of months longer (there’s a lot to tie up). As always, I’ll do my best to keep everyone informed about where I’m at in the process. And if you haven’t already, you might sign up for the newsletter for all the latest announcements 🙂

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to stop by, and for the encouragement! I promise I’ll be working hard to make Book 4 a worthy end to the series!

4. Arun

Thankyou Shae. I loved the ending I also love the parts with Jake and Elena.

You are telling a wonderful tale.

Thankyou

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

You’re very welcome, Arun! I very much enjoy telling it, and am grateful for the opportunity to share it with so many wonderful readers 🙂 I loved the parts with Jake and Elena as well– and I’m really looking forward to telling the rest of their story!

Thank you for the encouragement, and have a wonderful weekend 🙂

5. Gabriel

Hello Shae! Brazil is here!

First of all, thanks for the books! I really enjoyed it. Each one of the caracters were very meaningful to me.

One really special thanks for the courageuos and brave way you wrote about kael and Kyleigh. I’ve been reading fantasy books for a long time (I’m 26, not thaaaat old), and it seems to me that fantasy authors in general are “afraid” of love. That love can’t be an important or the most import part of an adventure life. I’ve been dating my girlfriend for 7 years and I can tell you: love is this so spoken bravery needed for adventure itself. I liked the way you aloud them to be happy! The danger, the sadness, the breath taking moments, to loose, are a really important part of build a world like you did, but what really touched me reading the books was the way the simple details of love made the caracters surpass all. The small endearments, the teasing, the cumplicity. Some people and some authors may think this is a mushy way of seeing things but, for me it makes things real and facing this reality in a book takes this courage (and a lot of talent) I spoke about. I know it`s none of my business, but please Miss Shae Fate Ford, keep it that way! Be brave! See you in Brazil any time soon!

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Heeeey Brazil! Thanks for stopping by, Gabriel 🙂

Of course, I’m so very pleased to hear that you’ve found the Fate’s Forsaken series to be such a meaningful adventure. But I’m completely touched by your words about love. I like how you said that love is a bravery needed for adventure, itself. That’s such a simple, beautiful way to put it– and you’re exactly right! I can tell by the passion with which you shared that you and I are on the same page when it comes to just how important love is in life.

Yes, it’s often the little things that endear us to a person: the actions that reveal their character, the kindness they show towards others, their willingness to work through problems rather than simply give up– all of these things wind up being so much more powerful than any grand, heroic act. For they aren’t simply done and spent in a moment, but last over a lifetime. And when you’re in love with someone, you want it to last a lifetime!

You don’t have to worry about me changing, Gabriel– I’m afraid I’m always going to be a “hopeless romantic.” Writing a novel is an extremely taxing process, and to be quite honest, the love is what gets me through it. So I’m sure there will always be some element of love in everything I write. I don’t think I’ll be able to help it!

Thank you once again for taking the time to stop by and share your thoughts with me, Gabriel. I truly appreciate the opportunity to be able to discuss things with my readers. Congratulations to you and your lady on seven happy years– and may you have many more!

6. Michael McGrath

Ahoj, Shae! Because of your pirates I feel obligated to use that greeting (again)! I finished Dragonsbane yesterday, and it is easily my favorite book in the series. It was just so good. I’m actually content to wait for book four because the ending to Dragonsbane was just so perfect. When Kael was sailing to Copperdock I could hear epic adventure music playing in my head. The ending was one of the most satisfying endings to a book ever! It wasn’t mushy, it was true love! I’m really starting to think that your writing is actually some powerful whispercraft! Are you related to Morris? Maybe you are Shae The Dog? I jest. On a side note, reading books like yours really makes me want to write something myself. Have a great rest of the summer, and good luck to you!

Sincerely, Mike

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Ahoj, Michael! Well, it’s good to hear that greeting again 🙂

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on Dragonsbane– and I am so very pleased to hear you enjoyed it! I have to agree with you: Book 3 has been my favorite, as well. After all our heroes have been through, it was wonderful to see them finally come into their own and take that next brave step.

It’s good to know that the ending wasn’t too mushy, and “true love” was exactly what I was trying to convey– so I’m glad it worked! Yes, I planned to tie up several of the loose ends and get our characters to a place where they could live happily for a time. Unfortunately, there are still villains that need to be taken care of. But in the meantime, our heroes will have each other 🙂

Haha! No, I’m afraid it isn’t whispercraft. It would be nice if I could be Shae the Dog and be able to write well and quickly. But alas, I’m afraid I’m just a human. So if a sentence sounds decent, it’s only because I’ve spent weeks staring at it– not because I was able to whisper it into being. I’ll be working hard on Book 4, though. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Thank you again for taking the time to leave me a post, Michael! It’s always nice to hear back from my readers, and it’s especially nice to hear they’ve been enjoying the books. Have a wonderful week 🙂

7. Michelle

i loved the 3rd book 🙂 couldn’t put it down! great work as usual! i just had one question. are you ever planning maybe a little side series/book about Kyleigh’s adventures before she met Kael? that would be a awesome addition to such a great series!

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hi Michelle! I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed Dragonsbane– I thought it was a great addition to the series, and I am pleased to be hearing positive things from my readers!

I agree with you: I think there are certainly further books to be written about Kyleigh. I’d been planning to write a prequel chronicling the events of the Whispering War. But I’ll have to wait till this series is finished to avoid any spoilers 😉

Thanks for your post Michelle, and for sharing your thoughts on the series. I promise I’ll be working hard on Book 4! In the meantime, I hope you’ll have a very pleasant week! 🙂

8. Arun

sorry typ. Thank you for a great story you are amazing. I never post Shae. thank you

9. Arun

Shae thankyou so much I’m here the of the book but i don’t it to end. You are amaziz
    ing than you for a great story

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hello Arun! You never have to apologize for typos, here: this is a safe space 🙂 I’m so very pleased to hear you’ve been enjoying Dragonsbane! I was very excited to share it with everybody, and so far it sounds as if it’s been a good addition to the series.

None of this would’ve been possible without the encouragement and support of my readers. So thank you for reading! Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Arun!

10. mike

Okay okay I yield, I guess I will have to wait for the fourth book, anxiously no doubt. Now, I do have a question. Was it really necessary to kill off Morris?? He was one of my favorite characters and I was sad to see him go. He was great for comedic relief and him not being there to urge Kael on is, well, sad. Baird the bard does a good job of that throughout the third book though. And a final question (you’re probably thinking what now) are you sticking to your timeline to about a year in between books? Or will this final one take longer because you must tie up the loose ends? Thank you for bearing with me with all these questions!

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hello again, Mike:

I was very sad for Morris, as well. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t spend months trying to think of any other way to heal him. But the fact remains that Morris played an instrumental role in the genocide of his own people– a regret that had been slowly killing him for years. In the end, I realized the best thing I could do was to give him a second chance, an opportunity to save what remained of his race through Kael. And when he got that chance, Morris rose to the occasion.

Please understand that I don’t let my characters die lightly. I don’t believe in pointless, soap opera-esque deaths for the sole purpose of drawing out a gasp from my audience. Morris’s death wasn’t a killing: it was an opportunity for redemption, a chance to give a very deserving character some purpose and dignity at the end. In his mind, Morris survived the War as a villain. But he died a hero. I could think of no better way to finish his story.

Now about the final book: I’m expecting it to take a bit longer than before. As you mentioned, there will be plenty of loose ends to tie up, and I’m going to have a bit more to juggle in the release process. As always, I’ll keep y’all updated throughout the writing, and let everybody know the moment I have a date set. Rest assured that I’ll write as quickly as I can without sacrificing any of the quality 🙂

Thanks for your post and the questions, Mike! Let me know if you think of anything else 🙂

Join the conversation!