About the Author

Shae Ford is a USA Today bestselling author from a not-so-small town outside of Ft. Worth, Texas. She comes from a long line of storytellers, and has spent countless hours seated at the kitchen table: listening to the fisherman’s tales, passionate political rants, and sidesplitting antics of her often-mischievous extended family. Her mother, who could always find room in the budget for a new book, has been the unwitting accomplice to several of Shae’s minor classroom crimes — from excessive doodling in the margins, to concealing the latest “Harry Potter” book beneath the pages of her algebra assignment.

She has yet to be charged.

Shae’s debut series, “Fate’s Forsaken,” follows the story of a young man who is gifted with extraordinary powers, but plagued by rotten bad luck. Having the chance to share his many (mis)adventures with readers all over the world has been the opportunity of a lifetime, and a journey she’ll never forget.

139 Comments

1. Matty M

Hello Ms Ford,
    I would like to say, thank you, for the fantastic series so far. I just picked up Harbinger randomly, 2 weeks ago, not being able to put it down. I then proceeded to read Slight and Shadow, and have almost finished Dragonsbane. While keeping a weathered eye on Daybreak with the reluctent knowlage that A) I will have to wait a few weeks (Though it will be not unlike a child waiting forever for christmas) And that B)It will soon all come to an end.
    Again, thank you, for the fantastic story.

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hi Matty, thanks for stopping by! I am thrilled to hear that you have been enjoying the Fate’s Forsaken series thus far. Writing it has been such an adventure– I never could have imagined that these stories would be read by so many. It truly has been an honor!

Only a couple more weeks until Daybreak! I have been planning the ending since Harbinger, and I am very excited to share it with everybody. Though I’m sad to have it end, I think the WAY it ends will bring everybody some closure … and perhaps set the stage for a bit more adventure to come πŸ˜‰

Again, thank you for reading, and for taking the time to leave me a post, Matty. All the best, and have a wonderful week!

2. Matty M

I thank you for the reply, and also wish you a well week/weekend, though I am unsure if they celebrate a bank holiday in the US this time of year.
      I have finished the third book, it left some questions, realization and some tantamount of shock.
      And to be perfectly honest I already place your series within a shallow stock of books alongside, Gemmell and Pratchett. It takes much to affix a permanent place on my shelves, and I thank you, again, for writing such a fantastic series.
      All the best within future endevours.

2. Yarz

Hello,

I’d like to say thank you for writing this wonderful series. I have mostly been reading stories with sadder tones and darker plots, but your series really lifted my mood when I read the first 3 books in 2 days. I’m really glad that I just found out about your books and I dont have to wait long for the 4th book to come out. I hope that it will be as heartwarming as the first 3.

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hi Yarz! Thank you for taking the time to leave me a post– and I’m so happy to hear that you’ve been enjoying the Fate’s Forsaken series thus far. Very lucky for you, indeed: several of my poor readers have been waiting years to hear the end of the story. You joined in at just the right time πŸ™‚

I understand your concerns, Yarz. Many people have written to me, worrying that the final book might take on a darker tone– and in many ways, these characters are no longer mine: they’re yours. I understand what that means, and I know the last thing any reader wants is to see all of his/her characters harmed at the end. A lot of writers do this with the last book in a series. I’m not sure why.

But I decided, after hearing how Harbinger brought joy to so many readers, to hold onto that lighthearted tone throughout the end of the story. There are plenty of dark, sad, and miserable fantasies on the shelves already. The world doesn’t need another one. And if the worst that comes of it is a few readers crying childish, I’ll take it. Why try to impress people who only want to see your characters suffer? That makes no sense to me.

So I know it’s not easy, but try to trust me just a little while longer. The ending to Daybreak is one that I’ve agonized over for several years– and I believe, with the whole of my heart, that its final lines will leave my readers smiling. I believe it to be a worthy end to the series, and an end that the characters have so completely earned.

Thank you again for the post, Yarz. I hope I was able to answer your question– and if you think of anything else, you know where to find me. Have a wonderful weekend πŸ™‚

3. Shae Ford (Post author)

To the young lady who posted as the daughter of Bene: I am terribly sorry, but I accidentally deleted your comment whilst cleaning out the spam folder. I just saw the tail-end of your post as it went whooshing away into the far reaches of the Internet, where I’m afraid it has slipped beyond my reach.

If you’d like to re-post, we can try this again, and I promise I’ll be careful this time πŸ™‚

-Shae

1. Carlie

I’m the daughter of Bene and Haha that’s okay! My dad and I love your books. In the 3rd book with Bene in the acknowledgements I ran to him yelling “YOU’RE IN THE BOOK! MY DAD IS IN A BOOK!”

2. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hi Carlie! Thanks for posting again πŸ™‚ I’m so happy to hear that you’ve been enjoying the series thus far, and I hope you’ll like Book 4 as well.

Yes, your dad is absolutely in a book! I feel like so much of the Fate’s Forsaken series has been driven by my readers’ questions. The things they think to ask force me to look at the story through a different lens– which is important, because it keeps me from getting stuck. In Bene’s case, the questions he asked, and the concern he felt for the characters, helped me figure out how Kael was going to reconcile everything at the end– something that I’d been stuck on for months. So I thought he ought to get a mention!

Thank you again for taking the time to leave me a post, Carlie– and thank you especially for reading! You truly make the story what it is. I hope you’ll have a wonderful weekend. And tell your dad I said “Hi” πŸ™‚

4. Newkev

Hi,

This is a great series. The story, the characters, the world, everything is good. I know the last book is planned for September and I am really looking forward to it but do you have a new project in store after that, a new fantasy series or something like that ? I like your style and would like to continue to read your books.

Thanks for your hard work and wonderful stories.

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hello, Newkev– thanks for stopping by! I’m so glad to hear that you’ve been enjoying the Fate’s Forsaken series, and I hope you will find Book 4 to be a worthy end to the story. I’ve really enjoyed sharing these books, and I’m *admittedly* rather sad to be writing the final chapters.

To answer your question: yes, I have a new project coming up. There are a lot of things bouncing around in my head, but I’ve narrowed it down to two possible choices. One will be another fantasy story set in the realm of the Kingdom, but the other is something … different πŸ™‚ I plan to spend the few months after a finish Book 4 writing around, trying to decide which one to focus on next. The minute I know, I’ll send out a newsletter!

Thanks again for your post, Newkev! I hope you’ll have a wonderful week πŸ™‚

5. Matt

I wanted to stop by your site and say thank you for writing this series. I work in research and listen to audiobooks while setting up experiments;it keeps my brain occupied while I do monotonous tasks. Your books had good enough world building and character development that I had to save them for the really boring stuff so I wasn’t distracted. I normally don’t gravitate toward this sort of fantasy novel but your series will make its way into my listening rotation again before the final book is released.
    Out of interest are there any books or authors that your would recommended? I am a voracious listener and am having a hard time finding anything worth listening too.

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hey Matt, thanks for the post! I’m thrilled to hear you’ve been enjoying the Fate’s Forsaken series thus far, and I hope your second read-thru will be as enjoyable as the first. It’s been my pleasure to be able to share these books. Honestly, it’s been a dream come true. Thank YOU for reading!

As far as recommendations go: I am not well-read, and most of what I have read is very old YA fantasy. And I’ve listened to even less than I’ve read. But one of the reasons I went with Podium Publishing is the fact that their audio books receive consistently high ratings for quality. They publish all sorts of different genres, so I’d definitely give them a look.

High-rated books that are often recommended with mine include The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington, a Wheel of Time-esque offering and the first book in an upcoming trilogy; tons of fantasy by Michael G. Manning; and David A. Wells’ Sovereign of the Seven Isles (also narrated by the awesome Derek Perkins).

But the next book on my hit list is Andy Weir’s The Martian. It’s a survival story that takes place on Mars and is supposed to be fabulously nerdy. I’m diving in the second I have the brain cells to spare πŸ™‚

I hope I was able to help, or at least give you a decent place to start. Thanks again for taking the time to write to me– good luck with your research and your book search. I hope both will yield positive results!

6. That Would Be Me!

P.S. that should have read Fate’s Forsaken, sorry, I just loved the first book so much it kind of sticks in my poor little pea-brain…

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hello again, That Would Be Me! I’ve got no problem with you posting about other authors on here. Readers have sent me book recommendations through email and Goodreads, and I always appreciate them. It’s nice to know which authors my fans have read and enjoyed– it helps me offer recs to others when they ask for them!

P.S. Power is one I’ve seen from time to time in the rankings, and I’m honored that my books have been grouped with his. Wow– I really liked your additions to the original blog post. They give it the context it needs and fleshes out the meaning of the quote itself. Again, I’m taken aback that something I wrote has made such an impact on your readership. And I am beyond grateful that you would take the time to mention it in your review. Who knows? You might’ve put the Fate’s Forsaken series into the hands of many other readers simply by giving it some mention. And that, to an Indie writer, means the world πŸ™‚

Well, I’ve got to get back to Book 4 … our heroes are getting into all kinds of mischief. Thank you again for your kind words, for the well-wishes, and many thanks more for that awesome mention in your review! I hope all is well in your neck of the woods, and that you’ll have a wonderful rest of the weekend πŸ™‚

7. That Would Be Me

I can’t believe that there aren’t at least 100 new posts since my last one. Just 1???!!! What’s up with that peeps?? This is one of the prime authors of this genre right here. Sorry, Ms. Ford just ignore that last line it was for the masses.
    Just touching base after the new year to hope you and yours had a very Merry Christmas and have an extremely Happy New Year.

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hey, That Would Be Me! Good to hear from you again. Thank you so much for the well-wishes– and I hope your New Year is fabulous, as well! πŸ™‚

2. That Would Be Me!

I know it’s tacky to mention previous lovers when on a first date and it’s probably no less tacky to mention other authors here but I’ve kind of always been at least a little tacky, can’t help it (bid sigh). Anyway, I wanted to give you a heads up to the kind of things I post about you in other places, he he, no not those kind of places silly… sheesh.
      ‘ve read all three books in the series so far,(Eve Benson arc) as they were released that way which I really enjoyed. I hate waiting for the next book, especially when they are so well done and entertaining. The wonderful author Shae Ford of the Harbinger books wrote this on her blog in response to another reader, I have unashamedly added a few things here; “Anything I read, I will ask myself this: has this writer, author, creator, ever thought like this, will I experience , the explosion of imagination, the joy of suspension of disbelief, the thrill of complete entertainment, when exploring other authors works and worlds of creation” Ms. Shae … β€œAnd explore them we must, for it’s the eyes upon the page that raise these worlds from the dust, the imagination of the reader that brings these characters to life.” I believe Mr Power encompasses all of his work with Ms. Ford’s wonderful philosophy to writing. Thank You for your talent Mr. Power. This is a copy of the post I made on amazon with a little editing I missed in the original. Hope you and yours are well, and you are finding time for yourself to have fun and enjoy life. Steve

8. brad

Loved the series! Can’t wait till Kael and Kyleigh learn about each others true feelings. I’ve added you as one of my favorite authors that includes Suzanne Collins, Jacob Gowans, Pittacus Lore, and Trevor H. Cooley. P.S., love your profile pic!

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hey Brad– thanks for stopping by! Yes, I think the artist did a pretty good job capturing the essential “me” in that picture πŸ˜‰ It’s been a long time coming for both of our heroes, and I was very excited to share the developments in Dragonsbane. Wow– it’s an honor to be included among your favorite writers, thank you! I’m thrilled to hear that you’ve enjoyed the Fate’s Forsaken series thus far, and I promise I’ll be working hard to make Book 4 a worthy end to the series.

Have a wonderful weekend, Brad!

9. That Would Be Me

I posted this on amazon’s authors page too….
    That would be me says:

Ok, you want to talk desperate for good reading material? I just went back and read most of the posts…..how sad is that?!

Charlie Bradley, 180 books in 2 years? pffft! Not to brag or anything, (ok so maybe a little bragging,) but I just passed my first kindle ebook download date for this computer, Oct 2013, and noted that my book count is up to 330 in 1 year. I know, I know. Not possible. However I did retire in 2003 at the ripe old age of 50.

I started reading seriously, (Louis L’Amour and Edgar Rice Burroughs) when I was in 7th grade. Also you need to take into consideration that a great many of the ebooks on amazon are only around 300 pages. I finished your Fate’s Forsaken first three books in just a little over a day and a half, those darn mundane tasks, eating, sleeping, shopping for more stuff to eat…..bleh.

So now we get to it.

According to my decidedly poor math skills, we have to wait, (insert much wailing and whining and hair pulling, not too much hair pulling, not much hair left) until July 2015 ???!!!!! Perhaps I can learn to hibernate? Bears do it and I’ve been told by several ex wives I can be very bearish, or was that borish? Humpf, oh well, hence the ex…hehe. Seriously tho Ms. Ford, tell me my estimate is wayyy off and you’ve been secretly writing at supersonic speed and book 4 is right around the corner….no? (Big sigh) Ok,…. I guess,….
    Keep us posted please and once again, thank you so much for sharing your wonderful talent with the likes of us poor readers.

PS : I was just reading some of these posts I know still sad…
    Shae Ford, I don’t mean to act like a prophet or something but…these words resonated with me deeply and I feel they will become something suprising and TRUE. Something that ALL authors should at the very least aspire too, This was in response to a womans’ post about story-stalkiing, something I can certainly relate too. I can not express how strongly these words struck me. From now on any contemplation of other worlds, fanatsy of any kind, or for that matter, scifi, mystery, westerns or anything I read, I will ask myself this: has this writer, author, creator, explorer thought like this, will I experience the raising from the dust, the explosion of imagination the joy of suspension of disbelief, … “And explore them we must, for it’s the eyes upon the page that raise these worlds from the dust, the imagination of the reader that brings these characters to life.” This I will cherish. Thank you.

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hello, That would be me! First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to write to me! If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a hundred times: I enjoy hearing back from my readers.

I’m very sorry to have to inform you that your math is correct: it will be Summer 2015 before we see Book 4 of the Fate’s Forsaken series … womp womp, I know. This all stems from the fact that I’m not very prolific. It absolutely amazes me that some authors are able to sit down and write a book in six months or less– it usually takes me that long just to get a passable first draft!

For an example of how the struggle is SO real: I was 119,000 words into the “first,” first draft Harbinger before I realized that it was completely worthless and scrapped the whole thing. The only scene I kept out of those 119,000 words was a few paragraphs about Kyleigh singing in an orange grove. That’s it. I took a couple of months off to feel sorry for myself before I buckled down and wrote the 144,000 words that are published today.

But though I still struggle with getting things right the first time, I am steadily improving: there were only 26 chapters of wasted words in Slight and Shadow, and 20 in Dragonsbane. So hopefully this means that I’ll have Book 4 written and edited with very few bumps along the way!

I realize that having to wait a year is a lot to ask, but I always want to make sure that each story is worth my readers’ time and money before I publish it. Padding my release date a bit ensures that I’ll have plenty of time to edit– and I’ve been known to make serious adjustments at the eleventh hour.

I’m honored that you took the time to dig through all of the old posts on my website. In many ways, my readers have been a remarkable inspiration. The things they share with me drive the story deeper. I truly meant it when I said that your imagination is more powerful than anything an author could write. There are some dimensions that simply can’t be expressed in words.

I hope I’ve always given you the opportunity to use your imagination to shape the sights and sounds of the Kingdom. I look forward to being able to share these adventures with all of my brave readers for many years to come!

Thank you again for your post, That would be me, and for all of your kind words and encouragement. I hope you have a lovely day and that you’ll find plenty of other exciting stories to read πŸ™‚

10. kirsty

Dear Shae
    Found your books on Amazon kindle 3 days ago, and have not been able to put them down. 3 books in 3 days, absolutely loved them. Am dying to know roughly when you think that book 4 will be out? My word these would make a great movie trilogy!!
    Thank you for such a wonderful 3days utterly lost in the fates forsaken world, wish I could just stay there!
    Kx

1. Shae Ford (Post author)

Hello Kirsty!
      Wow, all 3 in 3 days? You don’t mess around! I’m honored that you’ve chosen to spend so much of your time in the Kingdom, and I hope to be able to tell its stories for many years to come.

To answer your question: it usually takes me about a year to get a book fully written/edited. I always have these grand plans of finishing early, but it never seems to work out that way. My #1 goal is always to be able to offer my readers a high-quality adventure– and Book 4 will carry a lot of weight as it is the final installment of this series. So realistically, we’re looking at a Summer 2015 release date.

In the meantime, you might sign up for the newsletter if you haven’t already– that way you’ll be sure to be up-to-date on all new releases … and any other surprises that might pop up between now and then πŸ™‚

It would be interesting to see how Fate’s Forsaken would translate into movies. But if I’m honest, just thinking about it makes my blood pressure go up a bit!

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a post, and for your kind words about this series, Kirsty. I always enjoy hearing back from my readers– it’s an honor to be able to share these stories with the world.

I hope you’ll have a happy Friday and a wonderful weekend πŸ™‚

Join the conversation!